NOTICE: The OSWILG board of directors is accepting applications for the 2017 Harry S. Chandler Scholarship through April 21, 2017. For further information and to access application materials, please visit Scholarship page.
Working With Veterans: From Recruiting to Employing
||Wednesday, March 8, 2017
7:30AM breakfast; 8:00-10:00AM program
||Multnomah Athletic Club, 1849 SW Salmon St, Portland
||$55 OSWILG Members; $70 Nonmembers
||A certificate of attendance will be provided
||On or before Friday, March 3, 2017. Register online (www.oswilg.org), by email (email@example.com), or by calling (971.202.2053).
Credit card payments are accepted on our website.
Please join OSWILG for an informative breakfast seminar detailing the complexities involved with engaging the modern veteran workforce. This interactive program will include a wide range of perspectives, from the unique experience of veterans transitioning into the civilian workforce, to issues of accommodation and outreach among the HR community. A panel of speakers will include military personnel, legal counsel and a variety of private sector employers.
Highlights of the discussion to include:
* Refresher on employer legal obligations;
* Challenges faced by military personnel when transitioning into the civilian workforce, specifically including the translation of skills and military jargon to a civilian resume;
* Tips for the HR community on consideration of veteran applications and resumes;
* Reserve forces - employer obligations and paths to navigate active-duty mobilization;
* Best practices implemented by employers; and
* Contact information for veteransí agencies and other outreach avenues.
Speakers to include:
* Sgt. Jay Black, WEO Media, Search Engine Optimization Manager, member of the Oregon Army National Guard
* Curtis Wentler, UPS, Health and Safety Manager, Sargent Major in the Army Reserves
* Michael Benko, WorkSource Vancouver, Veteranís Employment Representative
* Jennifer Hibbs, WorkSource Vancouver, drilling member of the Portland Air National Guard and volunteer with Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
* Caroline Livett, Stoel Rives, Attorney